Monday, November 8, 2010

Goodness In Goodness Out

Thanks to a great friend, I'm on this being a better mommy kick right now. Well and not just mommy, but all the aspects of my life. We've found some great books, I'm having a hard time sticking with just one! I love when you read something and you feel so inspired by it. Almost like "Yes, that makes so much sense!" I'm struggling lately, with not getting stressed out over every little thing. I find myself irritated and angry and feeling guilty about it later. So after reading the latest chapter in the book: "Out of the Spin Cycle" by Jen Hatmaker I again felt inspired. She talks about there being a simple explanation for our mommy outbursts. For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man brings good thing out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. Matt 12:34-35

She writes; Our only hope to speak with kindness, to lead with patience, and to not threaten our children with homicide is to ensure our spiritual reserves are not bone-dry. Moms are the middle of the flow chart; the arrows of exertion flow constantly out from us, but when no arrows of strength, grace, and peace are flowing in, the whole mechanism is in danger. Goodness in equals goodness out. No goodness in equals, no goodness out.

When God's Word is flowing through my life my baby can spill his fourth drink of the day and I can say "It's just a drink." When I'm spiritually dry, I could literally lie on the soggy floor and bawl over it."

I could go on and on and write the whole chapter, but I won't. Needless to say I had a "Yes" moment reading that. I don't know how many times I've gotten upset over spilled milk or hid in the bathroom for a moment to get away from the chaos going on around me. Why do we allow ourselves to feel so burned out. I can remember taking pride in my job, before I quit, and being proud of myself. I think sometimes because it can be somewhat of a thankless job, it's difficult to be prideful of our jobs as mom's. Especially when there are days when it seems like the walls are crumbling around us. But darn it, we need to do it anyway! Take pride in what we do! Look at the beautiful little people around you and realize how great they are. And we did that! Don't let the chaos make you who you are. Look at a mess for what it is, just a mess.

Find a "simple space at the beginning of your day before anyone needs to be attended to in any way, a moment just for you and God and his beautiful Word-this is essential. This is where goodness is stored up for the day, and you'll need it; it's perishable. This is when Jesus reminds you, "you can do this. I'm right here. It's how you become centered and remember that spilled drinks and tantrums are a blip on the timeline of your life. It's when God can whisper, I have all you need. Goodness in, Goodness out.

No comments:

Post a Comment