Monday, November 15, 2010

.....too busy to make a life?

Have you ever heard the saying "Don't get so busy making a living, that you forget to make a life"? I've always like that saying. Often times throughout my daily life I find myself thinking or telling my children I'm too busy with what I'm doing to help them with their current request. Telling them we will get to it later, more times than not it never happens. There have also been numerous times when I've thought about making someone a meal after a baby, or a surgery or illness and I've never followed through. Usually using that same I'm just too busy excuse. It doesn't help that I have earned the title of the Worlds Best Procrastinator! By the time I really think about making the meal, I come to the conclusion that now it's too late.

When I read that quote I think am I really that busy? Am I too busy to take the time to play a game with the kids and leave that basket of laundry that needs to get folded? What if Jesus had been to busy to be interrupted? The devotional I read this morning pointed out a time in Matthew 9 in which he was teaching and was interrupted twice, with a request to raise someone's daughter from the dead and by a women who simply touched His cloak and was healed. He rose immediately and responded to the request. He did not tell them he was too busy, he did not wait for a "better time" he simply "got up and went with him" Matthew 9:18.

Puts in perspective how important my load of laundry is! If I truly want to "be more like Jesus" I wouldn't question the business of my own life I would just make a meal and do whatever I could to help out a friend in need. I would get down on the floor and play with my babies while they are still babies! I would get out that annoying playdough mess because it makes them happy and not because I'm worried about the mess!

"Cleaning and scrubbing can wait for tomorrow,
For babies grow up, I've learned, to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust, go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep."


So am I really to busy making a living, that I can't make a life?




No comments:

Post a Comment